Thursday, February 15, 2007

Pickle me grandmother! (here's one I prepared earlier)

(I just found this half started post written a week after landing. I shall add to this when I can)

Number of days spent in Adelaide? 10
Bottles of Coopers consumed? A six-pack less than a carton
Pints of Pale/Sparkling consumed? More than 15
Champagne? 4 bottles
Jager bombs? Ugh. One.
Food consumed from North Tce after 6am? hotdog and half a sausage roll
Money won at the Cas? minus $4
Beaches visited? 3 (Seacliff, Glenelg, Victor Harbor)
Tim tams? Caramel and black forest. Gone!
Approx weight gain so far? Far too much.


Yes, it's only been a week but my god what a week it has been (to borrow a phrase from Eddie). I now remember why I blocked that initial flight to London from memory. It actually wasn't so bad this time round even though I was on my own (especially since this time I wasn't going with a low cost carrier, I had my own tv screen and free alcohol at my disposal). Heathrow to Singapore was great. I had a spare seat next to me and many vodka's later I was half lying, half sitting across it and 'slept' for about 4 hours, waking up in time for some grub before landing. Singa's to Sydney we had a full house so it was a bit squashy but once again the free vodka's wreaked havoc and I dozed most of the time (and if I wasn't dozing there was endless Cartoon Network at my disposal). The nightmare began at Sydney. I had to proceed through customs then check into the domestic carrier, wait for the transfers bus to take me to the tiny departures hall where I spent 3 hours trying to stay awake. After a few purchases I decided laying on the seats near the sunny window was in order. Eventually the plane to Adelaide arrived and I was finally on my way. After much turbulence and a ride I'd generally rather forget (tired, grumpy, uncomfortable) we decended into Ads. The ladies told us we could get our bags from downstairs. "Excuse me.." I tapped the lady's arm "Since when did Adelaide have a 'downstairs'??". It seems some things do change.

No comments: