Thursday, February 02, 2006

Our time is running out...

ARGH. I feel blogified. (??). I've wanted to write but this past week has been one massive PALAVA. I changed jobs mid-week, then the person I trained to take over from me never showed again so I've had to run back and forth training them whilst now working on the trading floor.... FUCK ME. These people are manic... and does the phone ever stop? NO. I'm worth every penny of the £26,000 salary I've just been offered.

In other Threadneedle news, this appeared on the Intranet complete with PICTURES FROM THE MATCH. How fucking embarassing... one of the guys I work with sent them round to the whole team, I almost died.

Green Goddesses Match Report

Threadneedle 5 - Howden 6

GS Kelly Bartlett
GA Donna Hawkins/ Renee Hawkett
WA Vik Kent
C Frankie Corsini
WD Ingrid Porter
GD Vikki Lewis
GK Kendal Old

The Green Goddesses slid to an agonising 5-6 defeat against Howden on Tuesday lunchtime. On a day of unparalleled rawness, both teams struggled on the frost-caked court, with players going to ground with a regularity of Eddie the Eagle. However, Howden seemed to cope more efficiently in the early exchanges and skidded into a rapid 0-3 lead.

Threadneedle’s GS, Kelly Bartlett, appeared to be distracted in her last game in a Threadneedle bib and uncharacteristically spurned several gaping opportunities early doors. It was as if the tears of emotion, welling in her eyes, were temporarily clouding her vision. As the half progressed, the greens’ midfield dynamo, Frankie Corsini, rolled up her sleeves and visibly upped the tempo. Several rumbustious interceptions were galvanised into searing counter-attacks and a rejuvenated Bartlett started to whittle down the arrears.

A half time deficit of 2-4 was clearly retrievable and Threadneedle set about combating Howden’s physical approach with fresh purpose and a few elbows of their own. Donna Lowry gave way to fellow Aussie RenĂ©e Hawkett for the second half and shots quickly rained in from all quarters. But the Howden hoop, like in a Wagnerian fantasy, seemed to be protected by an invisible forcefield and the Goddesses’ wide attack, Vicky Kent, was clearly brewing up for an explosion of Wayne Rooney proportions. To be fair, her feisty urgings helped Threadneedle claw back further ground and, with a minute left on the clock, there was just a single net in it.

Alas it proved to be too little too late and Kelly B’s last game in Threadneedle colours ended in a totally undeserved reverse. “Obviously I would like to have signed off with a win, but to be fair to the girls, we fought well and I think I can move on to my new club with my head held high,” she commented. “I would like to wish the Green Goddesses every success in the future.”

In lieu of a testimonial, the Green Goddesses gratefully return the sentiment.


In further news, over the Aussie Day weekend we (Me, Leah, V, Dan + friends) all ended up at the Redback. OH MY GOD. What a place. By the end of the night I had snakebite (Beer + Cider + blackcurrant cordial - classy - and apparently an Australian speciality.. err, righto) all through my hair, had downed shots of every kind and couldn't walk... all by 11pm! The pizza joint afterwards made it all very worth while - from what I remember. And Matt, if I ever tell you to call me, you should probably ignore it!

I will be checking hotmail this weekend people so stand by your inboxes eagerly awaiting mail.

Oh, and there are (hideously enough) photos from Aus Day/Redback that will be published asap.

Rock on Aus... I will be mourning tonight as I miss my first Big Day Out in 7 years... ;(

No comments: