Sunday, January 22, 2006

There's a TREE inside the pub?!

Current music: End of Fashion - Rough Diamonds

Yesterday started brilliantly. Got up around 8am (no, that's not a typo.. we did get up and out of the house by 9.30am on a SATURDAY). Vanessa, Dyl, Courtney and I were off to the Borough Markets (the ones Jamie Oliver is known to visit (name dropping moment #56)). They were excellent! (I rate them extremely highly as the sell Coopers... OH YES). It was awesome to know we were going to have FRESH fruit and veg to eat... the Sainsbury's crap which sits in a freezer for a year before being sold is utterly foul. (Note - people in Australia - be very thankful for fresh, seasonal, fruit!!). We came home with bagloads and have stuffed every fridge we have.

This was not the end of our shopping bonanza however. V and I decided a trip to Camden was in order. I was on the hunt for my Reel Big Fish ticket. After finding the Electric Ballroom (awesome looking venue from the inside, kind of like Heaven), I was informed that the record store I was to get my tickets from actually HASN'T EXISTED for the past three years... as if. We then somehow managed to waste 3 hours shopping - not hard to do. This would prove problematic however as it was nearing 3.30 and we were due in town.... an hour later.

After a mad dash home we ended up at Waxy O'Connors at 5.30 - a fair effort I reckon. This was a momentous occasion for me for I am no longer a central London rookie. (I am also no longer a sambucca (of the black AND white variety) rookie either.) This pub is definitely a sight to see. It has three floors with rooms going off in every direction. The main drawcard is the massive tree which stands in the middle of the pub going through every floor, an amazing thing to see in a pub - no it's not real, yes I asked if it was.

The music was brilliant.. Killers, RHCP, Strokes, loved it. Of course midnight came and they decided to call last drinks... what is wrong with this city?? It is the biggest most happening place on the planet and yet the whole city goes into shutdown around midnight - tubes included. It's the one thing I would complain about (apart from the weather of course, but I've been told to keep quiet about that). Anyhow, this didn't stop us staying out until 4am. We ended up at some underground club which was playing some mad stuff (Sweet Home Alabama was a CLASSIC end to the night). Then off for a kebab - WHICH THE KEBAB STORE RAN OUT OF (so disgusting other greasy food was somehow digested) then off to bed.. I've never been more glad to sleep - and sleep I did until 1 this afternoon. I surprisingly don't feel like shite, however my voice would suggest otherwise.. I sound like a two bit hooker (and probably look about as dodgy).


In other news.. I found out I actually get billed for texts home, so, sorry if you don't hear from me as often as before... I'm skint as, only realised today rent is due this week and have no money left from being paid Friday.. god I need to not be a temp. Well, off to find a pound store for some dodgy speakers for the pod then off home to cook up a storm with all our fresh produce.

Just now hearing The Holy Grail on the pod makes me realise that Australia Day is going to be way more emotional than I ever thought.

No comments: