Monday, January 09, 2006

What's worse than looking like a tourist?

Todays lunch break was more than the usual ducking down to Boots then back to the lunchroom for a quick bite then back to work. Dan and I went sightseeing! Normally I don't like looking touristy, but when travelling with a local I make it my duty to embarrass the hell out of them. Arriving at the Tower of London was no acception. It was the hugest thing I've ever seen. And the bridge is just amazing. Apparently (as Dan the tour guide pointed out many facts whilst showing me around), the Tower of London was the first stone castle ever built in England (by Norman the conquerer) - in case you're ever asked.

The Tower Bridge is amazing, absolutely huge with two little castles on the top of the two posts in the middle of the bridge (which you can walk over) where people (rich people, not commoners like us) have parties.. madness! Looking across the Thames we saw the HMS Belfast to which I stupidly exclaimed 'I've heard of that! ..... wait, I've been there!!' SIGH.

Saw Tower 42 on the way back to work, the second tallest skyscraper in London, I think. And The Gherkin which is just next to my work. There's only one curved piece of glass in it (the domed roof) apparently, which is odd cause standing looking up at it, it looks oddly, well, gherkin shaped.

Other interesting thing we saw was the Monument to the Great Fire of London. It's about 60m tall and if you laid it down the tip would reach Pudding Lane, where the fire began - I love the history this place has as opposed to Australia, there's a story in almost every building here! (The building Dan used to work in around the corner - which has a WICKED old goth look to it - was where part of 101 Dalmations was filmed! hehe). I think his email 'I loved your comment "Why horses?" Err why not? "Well why not money?" good point.' sums me up. Show me something apparently signifigant and I won't accept it, I'll ask stupid questions instead.

Anyway, thats enough of a history lesson for today.

Currently have a shitty cold which I can't get rid of but staying in on the weekend ensured that it didn't get any worse. Am researching European destinations to decide where our next trip will be. I'm liking the idea of Amsterdam, but I think it's more about the people you go with rather than the actual place. Would consider Munich, Paris, Rome or Prague. I think it'd just be too cold to do Scandinavia just yet and I'd rather leave Spain until summer.. party time! Oh well... it's exciting just thinking about travelling again.. London is sort of doom and gloom at the moment with its SHITE weather, having a trip to look forward to makes it seem worthwhile.

Until then!

P.S. Missed out on Strokes tickets GRRR... only ones left are for February at the Apollo... fucking 99 quid. YEAH RIGHT.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Acception?
Signifigant?

I hope you were pvssed.

Anonymous said...

Since, as of 8:25 when I opened my mail on Wednesday night, I became a Dutch citizen with a spanking new Dutch passport, you should go visit the Fatherland / Mother country / Home of Stoned and debauched.

P.S. It took you thiry two years to realise, all you needed to make the world cup was a Dutchman.
P.P.S There are Dutchman coaching four world cup teams.

GO YOU LITTLE ORANGE MEN.