Tuesday, January 03, 2006

If you want to kiss the sky, better learn how to kneel

How quickly three days can go by! After being frisked (it was more groping action than I got on New Years Eve), it was down to the wire to run through the airport and be three of the last people on our flight back to Luton. It felt like we had never actually gotten off the plane. I can't believe it's been over a month since doing the 25 hour haul. Now any flight seems pleasant.

Now, back to the story at hand... Belfast! Not sure what I expected. I think I the ideas of Ireland that I had in mind were more of Dublin. Belfast was a little grim looking (particularly with the crap weather). However the place was very much alive on New Years Eve night. Our trip all began with Pete and his cousin Mick (an Irish local) picking us up... I shit you not, he was listening to U2 the whole way home... it was so cool in an overly cheesy way (and it was not the last time we would be hearing them).

The pub we celebrated at was called The Botanic Inn (or 'The Bot' for locals). It was in the centre of Belfast and by the nights end was ridiculously packed. We had an absolute ball, mostly Irish people are bloody friendly people just up for a laugh. I talked to many people at that bar all wanting to know about Oz. One extemely friendly, no wait, DRUNK, Irish lad decided to burst into the ladies loo line and go the pash. What the hell I thought... maybe that's how the locals say hello.

For all you drink enthusiasts wanting to try an Irish delicacy, try mixing up a 'Fat Frog'. Mix equal parts of Smirnoff black, Bacardi Breezer (orange flavoured) and WKD Vodka (blue). If WKD is not available any blue mixer will do (try blue caracao!!).

After doing almost nothing on Sunday (apart from visiting Antrim Area Hospital to diagnose what was making V so sick), we ventured into Belfast once more on Monday just prior to making our flight (or, as mentioned, very nearly missing it). The only thing we really wanted photos of was the Europa. It is the worlds most bombed hotel. I don't get why!

I am now back in good old London... I had a sense of disappointment landing, like I always get after arriving home after a holiday. Until I realised... I'm still not 'home home'. I'm starting to experience a weird sense of deciding whether I belong or not. Hmmm.

Upon arrival at work today I sorted through the emails and came across one from Dan inviting me to The Church on Australia Day weekend. (NB: The Church is on Sunday afternoons. 12-4pm, free barbie, heaps of cheap drinks, Aussie's galore. Apparently it gets very messy - imagine a B&S indoors). If his mates are anything like him it'd be a great laugh and I can't get anyone else to go along so why not!? I have a feeling I won't be drinking again until Australia Day. No money, ill feelings and well, no money means I'll be a little skint for a while.

Well, fingers crossed I can convince Andy to let us download and share our photos and I should have them up in no time (depending on whether the censors let some of the NYE photos through without an R rating).

***

P.S. - Cheers to everyone who sent New Years and Chrissy messages. I'm trying to keep up with them all, although running out of credit and coverage is not helping!! I'll lose all phone access for a couple of days this week while I switch carriers, then I'll have a reliable service! It was good to actually speak to a few of you after Christmas... I can see myself buying quite a few more phone cards.

Ohhh and in exciting Australian news I've just pre-ordered the new Living End album with limited edition DVD. I will unfortunately have to wait for it to be sent over and will have to cross my fingers about getting to view the DVD here, but screw it!!

No comments: