Friday, December 02, 2005

We're heeeeeeeeeeeeeere

I'm coming to you live from Oxford Street, around the corner from Picadilly Circus. Today has been excellent, finally got to catch the tube. It's much like the trains in Melbourne so not all that scary. We seem to be able to find our way anywhere which is most comforting. And luckily we haven't had to put up with the shitty weather we were expecting. It has been 10-11 degrees, we only just missed all the blizzards, but they're expecting them to return for the height of winter. I was informed today that it hardly ever snows in London so I'm planning to skip town to get my white christmas!

Saw Andrew last night.. he sprung us at first contact. It's so bizarre seeing and talking to someone you haven't seen in so long. We went to the local pub and got our £5 curry and beer and just sat and talked through out jet lag for a couple of hours. By 9ish though it was too much, I'd had two drinks and felt like someone had spiked them.. very nerveracking! Arrived back at our shoebox (for 25 pounds a night you just expect more!) and could barely get undressed before falling asleep mid conversation. This mornings shower saga was more hilarious than the sight of our room. Just think of showering in a port-a-loo.

Will be seeing the sights tomorrow with Andy. The forecast is good for this weekend so hopefully we won't encounter any problems. (The wind is fucking COLD, but it's the rain which is annoying). Seeing Picadilly Circus today was, for me, the pinch I needed to remind me I was not in Kansas anymore. This whole time, even with the 25 hour plane ride, has felt surreal but not different. Shops, people, food, tv is all pretty much the same, but it's the landmarks that make you realise where you are. Which reminds me. If I hear once more frigging French accent I'll scream. I came here for the Brits!!

Hmm.. Franz Ferdinand are playing tonight but neither V nor Andrew want to go. Pissed at that, but I understand. Looks like I'll be seeing the Foo Fighters in a couple of weeks though, that should make up for it marginally. There are also so many good musicals and stage shows on. Billy Elliot and A Few Good Men are my two picks. We're hanging out for the last minute cheap tickets. Well who wants to pay £40 per ticket?!

Can't think of anything else right now. Did some journalling on the plane and will update that on here soon. Can't remember what I thought of Abu Dhabi airport at 6am when we landed, but in hindsight it was a most awesome venue. Will get some photos up soon. From above the country looks like a very interesting place to visit too.

Off to apply for more jobs and find somewhere to live.. interesting times ahead!

*****

Love to everyone back home and anyone reading this... I keep seeing or hearing things and wanting to experience it with people from back home. Wish like anything that my family and friends could be here, it's such an awesome experience!

And Matt, if you're reading this, they play Kylie everywhere... even in Abu Dhabi airport!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am lurking, yes.
So glad her influence has spread as far as UAE.